Digital signage in small business, you say? If you are a small business owner, you’re probably constantly on the lookout for something which can give you a competitive edge.
No job too small for digital signage
Something which will grab the attention of potential customers, help drive customer traffic, and boost sales, as well as enrich your customer experience. If you haven’t thought about digital signage, then it’s time to think again.
Because all those fancy TV screens displaying impressive content that you may have seen in large high street stores, banks and corporations are not just for the big players. On the contrary, digital signage is a new weapon in the fight for the survival of small and medium businesses.
You may not have a fat promotion budget to spend, nor any time to waste. But neither of those are needed when it comes to putting a few screens up on a wall. It’s true that up until 2010, digital signage was an elite sport – expensive and too complex to deploy. Thankfully, that’s all changed now. There are loads of options out there, but what should you look for?
Everyone Loves “Value for Money”
It is not just about the price; it is about the value you get as a business owner from using digital signage. There’s a few DIY hacks which will cost you nothing, or a complex system reaching into the $1000s.
Ask yourself a few of these questions first:
- Do I need full screen content (videos, static images, etc.), or create a layout with multiple content areas?
- Do I need the same stuff shown 24/7 or do I want the content to change over time? How about turning the screens off automatically at night?
- How frequently will I need to change the content with new videos, images, price-lists, etc.?
- How many screens will I need? And how will I make sure they are working fine, even if I am not there?
The answers to the above will help you understand your needs better. And through that, you’ll be able to see more value in the solutions you will consider. Most commercial solutions will cover all of the above, with a really low cost per month for each screen.
Digital Signage in Small Business
Easy to setup, simple to manage
Some solutions are difficult to setup. They want you to buy the media players (usually Android devices), install their software, and configure it. You can’t always do that. And in our opinion, you shouldn’t.
On the other hand, some solutions have such a complex management system that you need training, or at least to read the manual or watch some videos to get started. But why should you waste time with training? A modern system should be self-explanatory. This is the age of plug and play after all!
Here are a few things you should watch out for:
- Ask if the players come pre-configured. Who wants to mess around with settings anyway? You just want it to work when you plug it in, period.
- Try out the content management part. This is usually a dashboard provided through the web that allows you to modify the content shown by your players. If you can use it at a basic level without any training, you are good to go! Always ask if you can get a demo later on, if needed.
- Put your money in a subscription-based service. It is easier to get on board, while you also get support and updates included in the price.
Which verticals are digital signage relevant?
To be honest, any business can use digital signage. And many already do. From grocery stores and beauty salons to cafes and retail outlets, the needs are generally the same.
Most business owners want to combine video and image playlists into a nice layout, show it 24/7, and change content for different hours or days. You might also want to display messages, weather info, news feeds and similar stuff. But generally, everyone has the same core requirements.
On Yodeck for example, we have users across industries. Food and beverage stores, groceries, pet shops, spas, salons, daycare centres, retail shops, travel agencies, and flying schools to name but a few. You name it, we’ve got it.
Conclusion: measure value and ease of setup and use before buying
When evaluating a solution for your business, it will be hard not to find some value in it. Then, compare that with the price you need to pay, and with the complexity (or lack thereof) for getting it and managing it. This should give you a good feeling if you’re on the right track.
At Yodeck, we try to balance all of these factors into a smart and simple digital signage solution that any small business can get. And from what our users say about us, it seems we have done a good job. That said, check it out and don’t hesitate to ask us if you need any help!